Aim of the Programme
The MSc Programme in Biomedical Sciences aims to offer quality education and to have graduates with a high degree of professional ethos and expertise in the specialization fields associated with laboratory diagnosis and monitoring of diseases.
It is an integrated programme committed to promote instruction of core theory, practice and research principles of biomedical sciences as well as to promote the teaching of clinical specialities (modalities) in one of the following fields: Immunology, Microbiology, Clinical Biochemistry or Hematology.
To begin with, the programme aims to enable graduates to specialize in Immunology (this application). In due course, concentration courses in the other fields (i.e. Microbiology, Clinical Biochemistry and Hematology) will be added to the programme, giving the option to graduates to study and specialize in one or more areas if they wish.
Educational Aims of the Programme:
The educational aims of the programme refer to and comply with the subject benchmarking of the EC4 European Syllabus for Post-Graduate training in Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine: version 4-2012 as well as with those of the UK QAA organization (ISBN 1 84482 146 3 © Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education 2004).
The general aims that apply to all concentrations of the programme (Immunology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Hematology) are:
- To provide knowledge of and insight into the biochemical processes in human health and disease.
- To introduce the scientific basis of modern bioanalytical instrumentation and technologies used for research and clinical diagnosis
- To promote the practice of transferable skills in data collection, analysis, evaluation, interpretation and reporting.
- To promote research skills and enable graduates to develop, evaluate and provide new diagnostic services.
- To teach the competencies required for managing and auditing scientific techniques and procedures and for maintaining quality standards.
- To teach practices of Quality Assurance, and introduce management skills for the smooth organization/functions and safety of a clinical laboratory.
- To enable graduates to enrich life-long learning skills for communication, teaching others and working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- To teach the ethical consideration in the profession of Biomedical Technology/Clinical Laboratory Science.
Aims specific to the concentration of Immunology:
- To provide an in depth knowledge of aspects related to the structure and functions of the immune system.
- To present the effectors of immune responses related to defense mechanisms, the development of allergy and the development of autoimmunity.
- To provide an in depth knowledge of other health consequences due to abnormal functions of the immune system.
- To identify response markers and present the immunotechnology based methods for the detection, diagnosis and monitoring of immune and other diseases.
- To provide knowledge on modern molecular-based methods and technologies used in the clinical diagnosis of immune-related disfunctions.
- To present recent advances in immunology research, prophylaxis and immunotherapy.
Biomedical science has to play an important role in healthcare. The component subjects taught are in the forefront of scientific research and, therefore, the graduates of the programme will be able to understand current discoveries, controversies and concerns regarding human health and diseases. The programme graduates, therefore, can be employed in various areas in the public and private health related sectors since their education covers both, the biological and medical science. In addition, completion of this programme can be considered as part of the 9 year minimum postgraduate training for Biomedical Laboratory Scientist that is required for registration of specialist expertise towards licensing to practice and direct a Bioscience/Clinical Laboratory.
Overall based on the core courses and specialization courses that students can take, it will qualify them upon graduation to work or provide service or do research in the relevant field, at a private or public hospital or at pharmaceutical industry medical or research laboratories. Alternatively they can also take an administrative post in the pharmaceutical industry and at health/disease related non-governmental organizations, companies, government or international organizations (i.e. health insurance companies, health service providers, WHO, the Red Cross etc.).
Specific major employment areas include:
- National pathology and clinical laboratories
- National Blood Service laboratories
- Private pathology laboratories
- Health Protection Agency (i.e. WHO)
- Veterinary and agricultural laboratories
- Clinical genetics laboratories
- Forensic laboratories
- Research laboratories in universities
- Government or charity-funded research laboratories
- Research and development for the pharmaceutical, diagnostics, medical devices
- and laboratory instrumentation industries
- Clinical trials, regulatory affairs (drug registration and patents)
- Commerce (sales and marketing) related to healthcare and diagnostic products
- Education: university, college and school teaching
- Food industry and food safety
- Biotechnology industry.
Πρόσβαση σε Περαιτέρω Σπουδές
Graduates will be able to continue further their postgraduate studies (PhD) towards an academic/research career or towards specialization (M.Sc.) in another field of Biomedical Sciences and/or other related areas. Graduates will also be qualified to go to medical school or pursue a teaching career in Biological Sciences.
The design of this program makes provision for students wishing to continue their studies towards a PhD, through the offering of a Thesis option. By selecting to complete a Thesis, students will have the opportunity to work on a substantive piece of research work and they will be positioned in an advantageous position to be accepted in a doctoral program over graduates with no experience in Thesis writing.
Upon successful completion of this programme, the students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the cellular and molecular aspects of the biomedical science relevant to the specialization field chosen (i.e. immunology or microbiology or clinical biochemistry or hematology).
- Explain the biochemical processes in human health and disease on a general and field-specific level.
- List and appraise the diagnostic tests used in the field of specialization and explain the molecular basis and technology of the diagnostic tests used (i.e. in the field of immunology for this application).
- Demonstrate competency in performing common laboratory analytical tests used in the field of specialization (immunology).
- Obtain and analyze data and appraise the validity and influence of variations (pre-analytical, biological and analytical factors) on data interpretation.
- List and appraise the ethical responsibilities associated with the practice of clinical laboratory sciences.
- Discuss the principles of safety and quality in the practice of clinical tests.
- Communicate (orally and in writing), scientific information related to the interpretation of clinical tests results.
- Research the literature, assess new developments in laboratory investigations on the field of specialization and design/conduct basic or applied relevant research.
- Describe the organization of a laboratory and the management strategies used for the provision of good laboratory services as defined in EN-ISO document 15189 and the EC4 Essential Criteria.
The student must complete 90 ECTS and all program requirements. A minimum cumulative grade point average (CPA) of 2.0 is required.Irrespective of the concentration chosen the minimum study period is three (3) academic semesters, 1.5 years, and the maximum six (6) academic semesters (36 months) or 3 years.
Ενδεικτικό Πρόγραμμα Σπουδών
- Laboratory Quality Assurance Management 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Bio-analytical and Diagnostic Technology 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Pathological Basis to Disease 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Cellular and Molecular Immunology 7.5
- Laboratory Practice (Immunology/Hematology) 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Molecular Genetics 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Autoimmunity and Inflammatory Diseases 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Immunohematology 7.5
- Clinical Practicum (Immunology/Hematology) 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Research Project 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Research Thesis 15 ECTS Credits
ΕΠΙΚΟΙΝΩΝΗΣΤΕ ΜΕ ΤΗΝ ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΕΙΑ
3 thoughts on “Βιοϊατρικές Επιστήμες”
I have read your article carefully and I agree with you very much. This has provided a great help for my thesis writing, and I will seriously improve it. However, I don’t know much about a certain place. Can you help me?
Reading your article helped me a lot and I agree with you. But I still have some doubts, can you clarify for me? I’ll keep an eye out for your answers.
I am a website designer. Recently, I am designing a website template about gate.io. The boss’s requirements are very strange, which makes me very difficult. I have consulted many websites, and later I discovered your blog, which is the style I hope to need. thank you very much. Would you allow me to use your blog style as a reference? thank you!