The programme aims to train students in a variety of theoretical viewpoints from different fields in psychology and teach them the skills to practice effectively with different populations. The main goal of this programme is to train students to design and conduct research and apply the knowledge from this research effectively into practice. Of outmost importance is that the students develop an ethical professional identity that will guide their work as researchers and practitioners.
The Master of Science degree program in Counseling Psychology is built upon the scientist-practitioner model of education and training where science and practice are viewed as complementary and interdependent. The program aims to integrate the academic, research, and professional components of counseling psychology into a program that promotes knowledge, experience, and sensitivity to the tradition of counseling psychology that prepares students for careers as professional psychologists in Cyprus and other European countries. With the completion of this program students have all the necessary qualifications for admissions to programs of doctoral study in Cyprus or abroad.
On successful completion of the program graduates will be able to work in different professional settings of the private or public sector since their degree can give them license to work in Cyprus as Counseling Psychologists.
Potential employment opportunities include:
In different Counseling centers, clinics, schools, business sector, private office and in the public sectors Counseling Psychologists can now be employed in clinics, hospitals or different organizations.
Πρόσβαση σε Περαιτέρω Σπουδές
Upon graduation, students may have direct access to further postgraduate (PhD, or PsyD) studies mainly in Counseling Psychology or Clinical Psychology (depending on the University).
Upon successful completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Critically evaluate the major theories and philosophies within the selected fields in Counselling Psychology.
- Critically assess their own personal philosophy of human beings as well as their strengths and weaknesses as they impact the counselling process.
- Demonstrate skills in assessing and evaluating the counselling process in the context of everyday challenges, and to develop competencies in different communication skills.
- Have an enhanced insight of the wide diversity represented by individuals of different cultures, gender, ethnicity, races, religions, ages, physical/mental status, and other groups.
- Become exposed to a wide range of populations having a variety of problems through participation in supervised clinical training experiences, both in the State and in the Private Sector.
- Demonstrate flexibility in their role as counselling psychologists according to the needs of the population they work with (e.g. individuals, groups, couples) and the task they have to accomplish.
- Assess the dynamics of the group processes to the person’s interpersonal and intrapersonal dynamics and interactions.
- Demonstrate knowledge in the design and use of different preventive and therapeutic methods in their work with people with various problems.
- Acquire training in the selection, application, and interpretation of clinical and Psychometric assessment techniques and methods as well as in the understanding and application of the results following professional standards.
- Critically evaluate research in the different areas of counselling, demonstrate ability to ask scientific questions relevant to Counseling Psychology, design and conduct research in order to answer these questions.
- Evidence knowledge in the use of different research methodologies in Counseling and exhibit skills in the use of data analysis methods.
- Conduct themselves with professionalism, demonstrating deep knowledge and understanding of professional standards and work ethics and their application to real life situations.
Ο φοιτητής πρέπει να συμπληρώσει 150 ECTS καθώς και όλες τις απαιτήσεις του προγράμματος.
Ο ελάχιστος απαιτούμενος γενικός βαθμός (CPA) είναι 2.0. Παρά το γεγονός ότι με το βαθμό ‘D-‘ το μάθημα θεωρείται ότι ολοκληρώθηκε επιτυχώς, ο απαιτούμενος μέσος όρος είναι το ‘C’ για να επιτευχθεί ο ελάχιστος απαιτούμενος γενικός βαθμός (CPA) 2.0.
Ενδεικτικό Πρόγραμμα Σπουδών
- Adult Psychopathology 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Advanced Statistics and Research Methods I 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Theories and Models of Psychotherapy 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Theories of Career Counseling 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Advanced Statistics and Research Methods II 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Theories of Couple and Family Counseling 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Professional Issues and Ethics in Counseling and Clinical Psychology 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Assessment and Clinical Skills I: Adults 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Psychological Interventions 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Group Therapy 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Psychometric Assessment 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Positive Psychology: Health Promotion and Prevention 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Clinical Practicum I (450 hours) 15 ECTS Credits
- Multicultural Issues and Diversity 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Thesis I 7.5 ECTS Credits
- Clinical Practicum II (600 hours) 20 ECTS Credits
- Portfolio 2.5 ECTS Credits
- Thesis II 7.5 ECTS Credits