The MSc in Digital Currency is designed to help financial services and business professionals, entrepreneurs, government officials and public administrators better understand the technical underpinnings of digital currency, how it will likely interact with existing monetary and financial systems, and what opportunities exist for innovation in digital currency systems.
The programme seeks to fill an important gap that exists today between the supply of and demand for academic knowledge in the area of digital currency. More specifically, while the interest in digital currencies has skyrocketed in the past few years, academic institutions have been slow to implement academic programs that cover the need for educating specialists in the area, addressing it in its entirety (technical and financial aspects alike).
The programme fills this gap and positions the University of Nicosia at the forefront of academia in this area on a global scale.
The degree is offered online to students worldwide and the first course in the degree pathway, “DFIN-511: Introduction to Digital Currencies”, is available for free as an open enrollment MOOC course to anyone interested in learning more about the fundamental principles of digital currency.
The first class in the degree pathway, Introduction to Digital Currency, is available for free as an open enrollment, MOOC-like course, to anyone interested in learning more about the fundamental principles of digital currency.
The remaining 8 courses are offered at €1,620 per course, bringing the total tuition fees for the programme to €12,960.
- Businesspeople / entrepreneurs
- Financial industry professionals – bankers, lawyers, accountants, auditors
- Development professionals: Social workers, NGOs, non-profits, development experts
- Regulatory officials / policy makers
- Computer scientists who aspire to managerial roles
This field offers very good career opportunities. Digital currencies is a field which is growing steadily around the world, and interest in such currencies is anticipated to continue strong. Thus, the global employment outlook is promising.
Πρόσβαση σε Περαιτέρω Σπουδές
The graduate program provides the foundation for admission to a Doctoral degree.
- Appreciate the concept of money, money supply, and how the present international financial markets and money transfer systems may be affected by digital currencies.
- Apprehend the fundamental concepts regarding currencies, central banking and monetary policy and the likely implications of digital currency
- Study in depth the issues, challenges, prospects and risks of digital currencies
- Develop a conceptual understanding of the principles and mechanics of digital currency, including cryptography, p2p architecture and public ledgers.
- Comprehend the structure and regulatory environment of the banking, legal and accounting system and the likely implications of digital currencies on bankers, regulators, law enforcement and tax authorities.
- Recognize opportunities to use digital currency for innovation to solve societal problems in finance and society at large.
The program is 90 ECTS credits and may normally be completed in 18 months (3 semesters). Students will be completing 30 ECTS credits in every semester. The minimum CPA for graduation is 2.0.
Ενδεικτικό Πρόγραμμα Σπουδών
- Introduction to Digital Currency 10 ECTS Credits
- Principles of Disruptive Innovation 10 ECTS Credits
- Open Financial Systems 10 ECTS Credits
- Money and Banking 10 ECTS Credits
- Regulation and Digital Currencies 10 ECTS Credits
- International Currency Markets 10 ECTS Credits
- Financial Markets and Alternative Investments 10 ECTS Credits
- Emerging Topics and Practical Considerations in Blockchains 10 ECTS Credits
- Blockchain Technology and Applications 10 ECTS Credits