Το Πρόγραμμα λειτουργεί σε δύο κατευθύνσεις:
Κατεύθυνση: 1. Αειφόρος Αρχιτεκτονική,
Κατεύθυνση: 2. Αρχιτεκτονική Εσωτερικού Χώρου
The Master of Arts in Architecture is a multidisciplinary postgraduate course that deals with and debates contemporary design issues. The course places particular emphasis on experimentation within the framework of the design, engineering and humanities professions. Two concentrations are offered through this MA programme which will give prospective students the opportunity to develop mature analytical and creative methods of working while redefining and extending their individual study areas. Students may select between two concentrations: (a) Sustainable Architecture and (b) Interior Architecture.
Sustainable Design and Interior Architecture is already a key element of the Architecture programme. Sustainability as a principle is been taught throughout the Bachelor programme (both of Architecture and Interior Architecture) and the Professional Diploma (Architecture). Both programmes consider the principles and practice of designing architecture suited to climatic and physical specifics anywhere in the world and it explores the profound impact of local and regional site analysis and understanding to the practice of sustainable design. Students become aware of design factors affecting large-scale components such as ecosystems and smaller scale ones such as indoor comfort and they subsequently explore concepts, structures and techniques that lay behind the realization of energy-conscious design. One the purpose of this MA programme is to operate as a cross-disciplinary experience and to bring its participants in familiarity with other design specializations. The post graduate courses are open to architects, engineers, such as urban planning and design, landscape architecture, engineering, construction and property development, interior design and interior architecture, and suitably qualified candidates from other disciplines.
Architecture is of critical importance to designers and engineers, whose work determines much of the environmental impact of the objects, buildings and systems around us. It also shapes the social behaviours responsible for our on-going environmental crisis. Knowledge of the principles and practices of a more sustainable approach to design therefore has become an essential component of design education in all fields.
The principal objectives of the programme are for students:
- To build upon students’ existing disciplinary knowledge, examining, reviewing and developing progressive approaches to design within ever-changing social, environmental and economic contexts.
- To instill in future practitioners the knowledge and ability needed to design healthy, comfortable and secure environments that place a minimal strain on global resources
- To provide a practical and scientific understanding of the impact of climate on design and to use of energy efficient design principles
- To acquire a systematic understanding of knowledge and a critical awareness of current problems and new insights, much of which is at, or informed by, the forefront of their academic discipline, field of study, or area of professional practice
- To investigate social and political processes and ramifications that are triggered by habituated and uninhabited environment, their affect on our perception, attitude and actions
- To be visually sensitive, socially aware, environmentally responsible, technically competent and with an appreciation for the arts and humanities
- To be respectful and responsible to cultural roots and sensitive to human needs;
- Plan and bring to closure large-scale research and, therefore, to generate new knowledge and thus contribute to the further development of the sciences in sustainable design.
Students who complete successfully the master programme will be able to:
- Work in their chosen fields with higher knowledge and competency by applying values and principles of different aspects within their specialized field
- Have a competitive edge in the more demanding job market and at the same time enhance their professional and/or academic skills for their future development
- Be appointed in various departments/services of the Government or decision making bodies
- Exercise an administrative and/or supervisory role in consulting units, private institutions of higher education or in research centers
- Engage in research projects or research projects undertaken by either nonprofit (such as NGO) or profit institutes in the fields of either sustainable design or in their specialized field or work as Research Faculty Members in higher education institutions
- Demonstrate self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and act autonomously in planning and implementing tasks at a professional or equivalent level;
- Continue to advance their knowledge and understanding, and to develop new skills to a high level and will have the qualities and transferable skills necessary for employment requiring: the exercise of initiative and personal responsibility; decision-making in complex and unpredictable situations; and
- The independent learning ability required for continuing professional development.
Graduates of the programme will also be able to pursue doctoral studies within their relevant area, should they wish.
Πρόσβαση σε Περαιτέρω Σπουδές
Graduates of the programme will also be able to pursue doctoral studies in their own field or any other relevant area, should they wish. The design of this programme makes provision for these students, through the offering of a Thesis option. By selecting to complete a Thesis, students will have the opportunity to work on a substantive piece of research work and they will be positioned in an advantageous position to be accepted in a doctoral programme over graduates with no experience in Thesis writing. Upon completion of the master programme students may have direct admission to the Ph.D. programme in Architecture offered by the department or prepares students for PhD or other practice based doctorate degree work in their specialized area. This will offer a valuable gateway into a career in academia.
Ελάχιστη προϋπόθεση για εισδοχή στο μεταπτυχιακό πρόγραμμα σπουδών αποτελεί η κατοχή πτυχίου (Bachelor’s Degree), από αναγνωρισμένο πανεπιστήμιο ή άλλο αναγνωρισμένο ισοδύναμο προσόν.
Επαρκής Γνώση Αγγλικής Γλώσσας
Οι φοιτητές πληρούν τις απαιτήσεις για την αγγλική γλώσσα, εάν η γλώσσα διδασκαλίας του πρώτου τους πτυχίου ήταν η αγγλική. Σε άλλη περίπτωση, θα πρέπει να προσκομίσουν πιστοποιητικό TOEFL με ελάχιστο βαθμό 550 paper-based ή 213 για εξέταση computer-based, ή Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) με βαθμολογία τουλάχιστον 79-80 ή GCSE “O” Level με ελάχιστο βαθμό “C” ή IELTS με βαθμολογία 6.5 ή επιτυχία στις κατατακτήριες εξετάσεις αγγλικής γλώσσας του Πανεπιστημίου Λευκωσίας, επίπεδο ENGL-100. Το Πανεπιστήμιο προσφέρει μαθήματα Αγγλικών όλων των επιπέδων, βοηθώντας τους φοιτητές να φτάσουν στο επίπεδο που απαιτείται για εισδοχή σε μεταπτυχιακό πρόγραμμα.
Upon the successful completion of the programme, the students of both concentrations should be able to:
- Have acquired deep knowledge of the new trends (subject- and research-wise) on sustainable design and the specific concentrations
- Understand the problems associated with innovation in sustainable design both on a micro- and macro-level of the sustainable design world.
- Undertake and exercise successfully leadership role(s) in the area of their concentration/work environment.
- Designing, maintaining and operating all scales and formats of the built environment, social and otherwise, in an environmentally sensitive and climatically suitable manner.
- Manage resources while tackling socio-economic and political issues and relationships.
- Invest in knowledge and experience of architecture practices that will help bring forth a paradigm shift in a global attitude towards the natural environment.
- Pursue career development in the building industry and/or secure high-level employment in related profession.
- Critically evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Combine creative and innovative skills to produce work suitable for seeking opportunities in their chosen field and take responsibility for their own professional and academic development.
- Demonstrate the expertise, independent skills and competence required to solve creative problems and be in charge of complex design processes.
- Recognise and assess the ethical challenges and the influence of major historical and contemporary cultural trends on sustainable design.
- Communicate and cooperate efficiently with others either in the practical or theoretical or in design-related development processes, within and outside their own subject area.
- Demonstrate self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and act autonomously in planning and implementing tasks at a professional or equivalent level.
- Demonstrate knowledge & understanding of essential notions, principles, theories and concepts .
- Demonstrate the ability to research appropriate material and analyse the structure and content of research material through written and drawn documents.
- Demonstrate time management and organisational skills. Demonstrate the ability to organise information and apply a hierarchy/ structure to information in written and drawn work.
- Keep well informed and in tune with current developments in the discipline to continue individual professional development
- Expand their knowledge of processes, building materials, construction and technologies appropriate to the design and representation of architectural space.
- Be able to use appropriate criteria and sound argument to support, discuss and evaluate design proposals.
The programme for the MA in Architecture for both concentrations is structured around three academic semesters. In each semester students are required to take 30 ECTS (i.e. three courses), completing 90 ECTS after 3 semesters of full-time tuition. Concentration 1: Sustainable Architecture Concentration 2: Interior Architecture.
To successfully complete either concentration of the programme students must complete 90 ECTS. 30ECTS are required courses which are common for both concentrations.
30ECTS are also required courses but are different for each concentration.
30ECTS are Elective Courses (common for both concentrations, students must select any course not taken as concentration requirement).
Students can elect whether they want to complete a Thesis or Design Project as part of their elective courses. The selection of the Thesis Option or Design Project should be made by the end of the first semester of study and by the end of their third semester.
A minimum cumulative grade point average (CPA) of 2.0 is required. Thus, although a ‘D-‘ is a PASS grade, in order to achieve a CPA of 2.0 an average grade of ‘C’ is required.
Ενδεικτικό Πρόγραμμα Σπουδών
- Contextual Analysis 10 ECTS Credits
- Critical Practices 10 ECTS Credits
- Bioclimatic Architecture 10 ECTS Credits
- Ecological Thinking and the Built Environment 10 ECTS Credits
- Advanced Integrated Systems 10 ECTS Credits
- Energy Efficient Buildings 10 ECTS Credits
- Sustainable Practices in Interior Architecture 10 ECTS Credits
- Project 20 ECTS Credits